Mostly life updates, not much on the medical front.

Let's just acknowledge that my updates are not nearly as frequent as they had been in the past. It is not exactly because everything has been totally boring, but in part, because it has not all been about me. 

In March 2026, we have had a significant and very unexpected loss in our community at school, and in addition to grieving colleagues, a good friend lost her husband. Loss is never straight forward, and it has been a complicated, difficult time with lots of layers to navigate. 

Health-wise, things have been stable, with lovely little spikes of panic here and there. For example, I had a CT that showed abnormalities in my small intestines. I had a series of scopes, scans, and other fun things like swallowing a camera! In the end, it was not cancer... but it doesn't look normal... so I guess we are back to just watching it. Last week (9/10/26) I was in the ER for suspected appendicitis... which it wasn't, so that is good! 

My stress fracture in my foot is still fractured. I have given up on the boot and my oncologist says that it will not heal while I am on my chemo... so I guess I will just keep it broken for now. It is not too painful to walk, so I am just going to suck it up. 

 It is possible that I will have surgery again on my back in the fall. My surgeon, Dr, Neira believes that the surgery should be revised. He will have a plastic surgeon help with the closure so I am less likely to have the bubble (seroma, that is likely filled with CSF) in my back again. The bubble causes me significant nerve pain if it is pressed-- which happens when there is a lot of lumbar support in a chair, or when I get into the car, or if I don't lay down in a particular way. 

In life news, we are happily chugging along. In February, Chris and I went to Montreal together and stayed a very fancy hotel! I went to my annual conference at Mohonk. I went to VA in March for Robin's Princess themed third birthday--which included several costume changes for Princess Robin. Later in March, we went to France for spring break. Chris and I explored Normandie and ate delicious foods, got our history fix, and then toodled on to Mount Saint Michele to see the castle be surrounded by water as the tides came in. We ended up in Flavigny and met up with the Wisemans who has explored Paris and wanted to sample some true Bourgogne wine. In April, we visited Iva for her birthday with a beautiful cake and a festive visit.

We also celebrated Barrett's first birthday (well his due-date-day because we were in France for his true birthday.) The big excitement there was that Kelly was fostering kitties and it was SUPER cute and fun to see the kiddos play with them. 

My birthday was pretty low-key this year. I was coming down with a cold and so our plan to spend a weekend in California for Chris' Dad's 80th didn't happen as planned. Chris went solo, and I stayed at home. My friend Amanda EK took me farmers' Market hopping, out to dinner and ensured I had cake and candles. It was delightful!

Other exciting spring highlights include, a visit from Kira and a tour of the NYC Friends experience; a day at the Opera, and then a huge storm that took out many of our appliances in Tarrytown! 

For the summer, I am spent a week in June with the BeLanie crew and then went directly to NC for our family beach week. Kenny had his annual visit, which kicked off with a day at Gettysburg with Chris while I was reuniting with some old UConn friends. We also took him to FDR's home and museum. The biggest excitement of the visit was when Chris and I helped rescue two kittens from the side of the road. To no one's surprise, we adopted one! His name is Vegemite! Chris calls him Mighty. We now have two cats! 

Vegemite was welcomed not only by Kenny, but by Max, Robin, and Beau who arrived the next week for Camp Onteemandee! Beau worked during the day while Max and Robin earned badges for cooking, baking, fairyhouse building, swimming, and more! It was so much fun! 

School began last week and we are getting back into our routine. I had my first pumpkin spice latte this morning while waiting for my docs. I am super grateful for each of these seasons and for the people who walk through them with me. xoxo

Comments